Friday, January 15, 2010

Conquering Challenges

So, here I am at the end of week one of the "I Am CrossFit" Challenge. The workouts have been great. I mean, I'm sore everywhere all the time, but I've come to expect that based on my previous two months with CrossFit; in fact, it kind of feels good to be sort of achey--you know, good achey. Crazy, but true. I've even squeezed in a couple of runs this week. (I know with the Challenge that I don't really have to run, but stopping all together would make me completely batty, and that's just bad for everyone!) In the two or so months I've been with CrossFit, I can tell my running has improved, not so much in terms of speed, but in terms of endurance and feeling stronger and more comfortable throughout the run. I expect to see even more improvement over the next eight weeks.

The food is an ass-kicker, though. And, yes, I'm going to whine about paleo until I'm finally used to it. Even so--and my husband and another CrossFitter (both of whom are on Team 4 with me) were talking about this this morning--I'd be lying if I didn't say that I feel lighter, I'm never starving or even feeling that uncomfortable twinge of hunger, and my energy level at 5:30 a.m. today was through the roof. Hard to argue with that.

The challenges are still out there, though. For one, my husband and I live in a hotel, literally. I mean, it's a condo in the same building as the hotel, but, still, there's a nice bar downstairs, where I've made friends with the staff over the 16 months we've lived here. They see me walk in, they crack open a Bud Light, and then I do a little bit of work (I always bring my laptop) and a lot of chatting for the next two hours. It's basically the equivalent of hanging out at your friend's house, and it's waaaaayyyyy too easy! So, the other day I went to the bar, stopped Warren the bartender from handing me a beer and announced that I was doing this Challenge. I am happy to report that I now have the entire bar staff on my support team. They refuse to serve me anything but coffee, tea or water. One of the guys has even undertaken his own no-alcohol-consumption challenge for the next eight weeks. Hotel Bar Challenge? Conquered.

My next big challenge will be a party tonight at the Cedar Door for two of my friends. My husband's admonishment to me this morning: "Just be sure to eat paleo." Yep, this will be a challenge (beer and deep-fried chicken tenders with BBQ sauce--doh!). But I know I can do it, I just have to remember the pride that comes with overcoming a challenge, and the fact that Team 4 WILL be seated at Diner 24 in eight weeks' time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment